Sunday, April 25, 2010

Endure To The End

I haven't posted in awhile since thoughts on the afterlife is a tough springboard into other subjects. So today I thought I'd bring us back to life, so to speak, with the topic of enduring to the end.

After I got married this phrase hit me particularly hard. I had hit all the major landmarks on the road to salvation: get baptized, receive the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods, go to the temple, serve a mission, get married and graduate from BYU. (Okay, maybe that last one was a misconception). It seemed the only remaining item on my 'list' was 'endure to the end'. This seemed rather daunting. Before there had always been some checklist item hanging imminently in front of me with clear blessings accompanying each item. Now the only items left seemed to be 'endure' and die.

I think the word endure hit me particularly hard after my mission since I could see it's Latin roots. The word 'dura' in Italian means hard. The prefix en usually denotes 'within'. So endure in a way means within hardship. When I looked up endure using the definition Google function (you type in define: 'word you want to look up') the first definition that came up was "put up with something or somebody unpleasant".

I don't want my life to be something I simply endured, I want it to be lived. I don't mean to suggest we walk away from the difficult or the challenging but rather we come to see the way such instances enhance the beauty of our life. Work, for example, can be seen as an obstacle to fun and enjoyment or it can be infused with appreciation for the variety it adds and the way it enhances the enjoyment of relaxation. Marriage can be seen as an unending stream of obligations or an ongoing exchange of love and mutual support. Children can be seen as a burden or endowment filling our lives with love and meaning.

In short I don't like the phrase endure to the end because it suggests we are in a constant state of difficulty and deprivation, that life is something to 'put up with' until you get your reward. Rather I hope to find the reward in living a well-lived life. I recognize the need to live our life in a way that is socially responsible, that minimizes conflict and that enhances our relationships with other people. I think such denotes a good or well-lived life. Such a life is not to be endured but cherished. Such a life doesn't have to be endured to receive one's reward but rather there are innumerable rewards to be discovered in living such a life.

5 comments:

  1. I like your post, life should be enjoyed and enduring to the end should be wonderful not a chore! :) By the way I think you should add my blog to your blog list.. it is mikentash.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardner, right on....very insightful indeed. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to everybody for reading and thanks Ta I added your blog. Sorry I forgot that you had one and I just looked it over and it's great- I love all the pictures of Alden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people like pain. Look at marathon runners. We have the Ironman race in St. George this weekend. Those folks love the process of enduring to the end of the race. It heightens the reward at the end. But there is also joy in the race, not just the finish line.

    I agree with you about living life to the fullest. A quote on my wall says, "Dum Vivimus vivamus!" Latin: While we live, let us live. It sums up everything you say here.

    BTW: here is my blog. but believe me, it isn't near as deep, provocative or insightful as yours...just a little bit of blabber....
    http://jensfishbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete